Shhh….I know it’s day 9, but like I said I wanted to participate in as many of these challenges as I could and life just keeps getting in the way. Besides name your Top 10 Favorite Movies – how could I pass up on that?? I LOVE movies! I love to escape into a story – to dwell in the setting, soak up the cinematography and fall in love with the characters. I love going to the theater and getting popcorn and a frozen coke and peanut butter M&M’s (PS, put them in your popcorn – you won’t be sorry…unless you’re allergic!). Movies just help you see the world in a different way – they can help lift you out of a funk and make you laugh, they can help you out when you need a good cry, they can take you to a whole new world for a while, and they can change the way you view something/someone.
As I wrote this list of my top 10 Favorite Movies I realized just how hard it is to pick!! Just 10 is very limiting…how do you decide what makes the cut? What categories do you include or do you just go with one like comedy, drama, rom-com?? I must have changed this list half a dozen times and I’ll probably change it again in my head as soon as I hit publish! So without any further rambling here is my list of Top 10 Favorite movies in this moment:
10. Fried Green Tomatoes – A classic and just plain good! If you haven’t seen it you should – it’s kind of an amazing story told by none other than Jessica Tandy and Kathie Bates! It’ll definitely make you want to eat fried green tomatoes that’s for sure 🙂
9. The Cure – Be warned this movie can make even a grown man cry!! I remember when I was in high-school I would rent this from the local video store every week!! I kind of had a thing for balling my eyes out and Brad Renfro…
8. Benny & Joon – A nod to my childhood in the 80’s with Johnny Depp before he was Jack Sparrow more around when he was Edward Scissor Hands (oohhh I love that one too!). Great acting again and just quirky loveable characters!
7. Life as a House – I just love this movie – Kevin Kline does an amazing job of going from awful human being and father to making you love him in the end. Great acting and story and I just watch it when I need a good cry so be warned!
6. The Freedom Writers – I love movies about true events and real people and this one has it all. It’s about a teacher who cared enough to make a difference and reach her students in amazing ways – above and beyond the call of duty! It’s also about history and writing and amazing books.
5. Sleepless in Seattle – I can quote this entire movie from start to finish! I must have seen it at least 100 times I just love it that much!! “It was like…maagiic”!
4. Stranger Than Fiction – Will Ferrel at his best I think, he’s funny and endearing without trying too hard and adding all the what my mom calls “toilet humor” (although honestly I find him funny in those roles too – Anchorman? Come on!).
3. Amazing Grace – Amazing story of the abolition of slavery in Britain and fight against human trafficking. I love it because I find hope in it – we were able to change long ago so we can hopefully do it again in the new fight against human trafficking into the sex trade. It’s brilliant you should watch it if you haven’t seen it!
2. Empire Records – OK, this movie is just awesome and takes me back to my youth! I love it! I can quote it from front to back and still quote it regularly to this day!
“What’s with you today?”
“what’s with today, today?”
“See – yesterday you were normal and today you’re like the Chinese guy from the Karate Kid!”
1. The Philadelphia Story – Cary Grant, Kathryn Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart need I say more?? I LOVE Classic films and was hard to pick just one but this one has all my favorite actors from this era! It is hilarious and heartwarming and regal and just lovely! There’s a quote from one of my favorite books about this movie and it describes it best!
- “If you haven’t seen The Philadelphia Story, stop what you are doing, rent it, and watch it. It’s probably overstating the point to say that until you watch it, you will have been living a partial and colorless life. However, it is definitely on the list of perfect things. You know what I mean, the list that includes the starry sky over the desert, grilled cheese sandwiches, The Great Gatsby, the Chrysler building, Ella Fitzgerald singing “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If You Ain’t Got That Swing),” white peonies, and those little sketches of hands by Leonardo da Vinci. If you have seen it, then you know there’s a moment when Katharine Hepburn as Tracy Lord steps from a poolside cabana. She’s got a straight white dream of a dress hanging from her tiny collarbones, a dress fluted and precise as a Greek column but light and full of the motion of smoke. A paradox of a dress, a marriage of opposites that just makes your teeth hurt it’s so exactly right.”
~Marisa de los Santos (Love Walked In)
That was one of my most favorite scenes from the movie!! You MUST WATCH it!! 🙂
Close second and somehow missed the list was “Signs” – M. Night Shyamalan! Love him and pretty much everything he’s ever made is amazeballs!!
So that’s my list with an extra one 😉 What are some of your favorite movies?? Is it as hard for you to pick as it was for me??